Photos

Description

William Thomas, recognized as one of the founders of the Canadian architectural profession, was the architect of our English Gothic revival building, erected over four years between 1854 and 1857. The building’s grey stone mostly came from Hamilton quarries. The tower rises dramatically to a height of 100 feet to the top of the parapet line, where it almost imperceptibly reduces itself into an octagonal spire. The total height of tower and spire is 180 feet, and it is believed to be the highest of its kind, entirely stone, in Canada.