We are the oldest church in Western Canada built between 1844 and 1849 from stone quarried on the west bank of the Red River three miles below the mission. It was under the supervision of Rev. William Cockran (who did much of the work himself) and Duncan McRae. The church is an example of an architectural style known as Gothic Revival. The style and layout of the interior is known as pre-Tractarian. The Gothic design can be found in the windows, on the pulpit, communion rails, lectern and choir stalls. The design of the roof is in the shape of an inverted York boat. The wood for the roof trusses and floor boards came from what is now Bird’s Hill.
The settlers in this part of the Red River Settlement were retired Hudson’s Bay Company Employees, many of whom originated from Orkney. They settled here with their indigenous wives.
Many people of historic significance are buried in the cemetery.