The Niagara Historical Society & Museum (NHSM) was founded in 1895 and has the oldest purpose-built museum in Ontario, Memorial Hall. The NHSM houses one of the finest collections of early Canadian artefacts and archives. Visitors today are treated with one of the most extensive collections, reflecting the history of one of the oldest settlements in Ontario. The NHSM consists of three independent buildings merged together: the High School building (built in 1875), Memorial Hall (built in 1906) and the Link Building (built in 1971).
Our permanent exhibition explores the chronological history of Niagara-on-the-Lake from Indigenous history to the Capital years to the War of 1812 to the tourism boom of the 1970’s. The gallery contains significant artefacts such as a powder horn belonging to Chief Joseph Brant, the Indian Department Coatee worn by Daniel Servos during the American Revolutionary War, uniforms from the War of 1812 and other items from Niagara’s long history.
The 2018 temporary exhibition is “Camp Kosciuszko: The Polish Army at Niagara Camp, 1917-1919”: An exhibition commemorating the 100th anniversary of the opening of Camp Kosciuszko, where thousands of soldiers of Polish descent trained, during the First World War, before being shipped off to free Poland from 123 years of occupation.