Built in 1822, Campbell House is the oldest surviving building from the Town of York and an outstanding example of Georgian architecture. Saved by The Advocates’ Society from demolition and moved to its current location in 1972, Campbell House was home to Chief Justice William Campbell, who in 1826 presided over the trial of the rioters who destroyed William Lyon Mackenzie’s printing press, a significant early test for freedom of the press in Canada. Located in Toronto’s justice precinct, at the northwest corner of Queen Street West and University Avenue, the classical house with surrounding park is a contrast to, and a stage from which to contemplate, the urban scene arrayed before it: the skyline of office towers and rising condos, City Hall and the courts, University Avenue, and the retail and cultural strip of Queen Street West. Campbell House is owned by the City of Toronto. The museum is operated by the Sir William Campbell Foundation and the grounds are maintained as a public park by the City on land leased from The Great-West Life Assurance Co.