St John’s Anglican Church

Prescott, Ontario
Type
Lieu de culte
Adresse
490 Centre Street, Prescott, ON K0E 1T0, Canada
Itinéraire
Heures
1pm to 4pm
Téléphone
613-925-4967

The massive red and black slate roof is original and the bell tower is still used as a landmark by sailors on the St Lawrence River. Numerous stained glass windows, many by renowned 19C artist Harry Horwood, cast coloured mosaics on the interior. Horwood windows are prized in many Ontario churches as well as the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa.

The size and grandeur of St John’s fit the vision of a prosperous growing town. Fortunes were made forwarding goods through the rapids on the St Lawrence until modern transportation made this practice obsolete. Population growth slowed as the economy evolved from commercial and industrial to tourism.  But mansions from these barons of commerce still decorate the town.

Struggling to maintain the historic structure while continuing to serve God and the community, in 2006 the congregation « right-sized » the interior by dividing it into hall and worship space. Historic elements were retained, including the ‘Lost Window’.

The Eliza Merrington chapel at St John’s was built in the 1930’s and featured a beautiful stained glass window depicting the Nativity, but with a side panel of modern children praising the newborn King.  It was signed by the artist, Guido Nincheri – the Michelangelo of Montreal!

An interview with the artist’s grandson in 2003 revealed the window’s secrets. Roger Boccini Nincheri was surprised to learn the whereabouts of this piece. It was listed among his grandfather’s installations simply as « St. John’s Church, Prescott ». Curators had assumed it meant the counties of Prescott-Russell near the Quebec border but could never find it. It was deemed to be lost!

With the sale of the chapel in 2013, the window was restored and relocated inside the church to remain accessible to the public.

Roger revealed another secret – the little boy in the blue suit in the « modern » panel is him! His grandfather often used his face as a model when he was a lad.

Commodités

  • Accès fauteuils roulants
  • Stationnement
  • Toilettes

Endroit

490 Centre Street, Prescott, ON K0E 1T0, Canada
Itinéraire

Lieux à proximité

St John’s Anglican Church

Prescott, Ontario
1860 neo-Gothic church by Thomas Seton Scott before he became Chief Dominion Architect
Voir le lieu | Itinéraire

Fort-Wellington

Prescott, Ontario
Fort servant de défense durant les guerres de 1812 et de 1837-1838 avec les États-Unis.
Voir le lieu | Itinéraire

Bataille du Moulin-à-Vent

Prescott, Ontario
Visitez le lieu historique national de la Bataille-du-Moulin-à-Vent pour voir l’un des …
Voir le lieu | Itinéraire

Spencerville Mill & Museum

Spencerville, Ontario
Before electrical power, it was commonplace for rural villages to spring up around rivers …
Voir le lieu | Itinéraire

Inscrire un lieu

Créer un compte pour ajouter votre lieu historique


Vous avez déjà un compte? pour vous connecter.
Nous utilisons vos coordonnées dans le traitement de votre adhésion et pour correspondre avec vous au sujet de la Fiducie nationale et de ses programmes. Vous pouvez faire enlever votre nom de nos listes en tout temps. Voir notre déclaration sur la confidentialité.

Connexion

Les sites qui participent à la #JournéeLieuxPatrimoniaux doivent avoir un compte.


Pas inscrit? Cliquez ici pour créer un compte.

Mot de passe oublié

Saisissez votre adresse courriel pour demander une réinitialisation de mot de passe


pour vous connecter.